NCERT TEXT BOOK EXERCISES
- In a Mathematics test, the following marks were obtained by 40 students. Arrange these marks in a table using tally marks.
(a) Find how many students obtained marks equal to or more than7.
(b) How many students obtained marks below 4?
- Following is the choice of sweets of 30 students of Class VI.
Ladoo, Barfi, Ladoo, Jalebi, Ladoo, Rasgulla, Jalebi, Ladoo, Barfi, Rasgulla, Ladoo, Jalebi, Jalebi, Rasgulla, Ladoo, Rasgulla, Jalebi, Ladoo, Rasgulla, Laddo, Ladoo, Barfi, Rasgulla, Rasgulla, Jalebi, Rasgulla, Ladoo, Rasgulla, Jalebi, Ladoo.
(a) Arrange the names of sweets in a table using tally marks.
(b) Which sweet is preferred by most of the students?
- Catherine threw a dice 40 times and noted the number appearing each time as shown below:
Make a table and enter the data using tally marks. Find the number that appeared.
(a) The minimum number of times (b) The maximum number of times
(c) Find those numbers that appear an equal number of times.
- Following pictograph shows the number of tractors in five villages.
|Village||Number of tractors – 1 tractor|
Observe the pictograph and answer the following Ps.
(i) Which village has the minimum number of tractors?
(ii) Which village has the maximum number of tractors?
(iii) How many more tractors village C has as compared to village B.
(iv) What is the total number of tractors in all the five villages?
- The number of girl students in each class of a co-educational middle school is depicted by the pictograph:
|Class||Number of girl students – 4 girls|
Observe this pictograph and answer the following Ps:
(a) Which class has the minimum number of girl students?
(b) Is the number of girls in Class VI less than the number of girls in Class V?
(c) How many girls are there in Class VII?
- The sale of electric bulbs on different days of a week is shown below:
|Day||Number of electric bulbs – 2 bulbs|
What can we conclude from the said pictograph?
- In a village, six fruit merchants sold the following number of fruit baskets in a particular season:
|Name of fruit merchant||Number of fruit baskets – 100 fruit basket s|
Observe this pictograph and answer the following P:
(a) Which merchant sold the maximum number of baskets?
(b) How many fruit baskets were sold by Anwar?
(c) The merchants who have sold 600 or more number of baskets are planning to buy a godown for the next season. Can you name them?
- Total number of animals in five villages are as follows:
Village A : 80 Villages B : 120
Village C : 90 Village D : 40
Village E : 60
Prepare a pictograph of these animals using one symbol ⊗ to represent 10 animals and answer the following Ps:
(a) How many symbols represent animals of village E?
(b) Which village has the maximum number of animals?
(c) Which village has more animals: village A or village C?
- Total number of students of a school in different years is shown in the following table
|Year||Number of students|
- Prepare a pictograph of students using one symbol to represent 100 students and answer the following Ps:
(a) How many symbols represent total number of students in the year 2002?
(b) How many symbols represent total number of students for the year 1998?
- Prepare another pictograph of students using any other symbol each representing 50 students. Which pictograph do you find more informative?
- The bar graph given alongside shows the amount of wheat purchased by government during the year 1998-2002.
Read the bar graph and write down your observations. In which year was
(a) the wheat production maximum?
(b) the wheat production minimum?
- Observe this bar graph which is showing the sale of shirts in a readymade shop from Monday to Saturday.
Now answer the following Ps:
(a) What information does the above bar graph give?
(b) What is the scale chosen on the horizontal line representing number of shirts?
(c) On which day was the maximum number of shirts sold? How many shirts were sold on that day?
(d) On which day was the minimum number shirts sold?
(e) How many shirts were sold on Thursday?
- Observe this bar graph which shows the marks obtained by Aziz in half-yearly examination in different subjects.
(a) What information does the bar graph give?
(b) Name the subject in which Aziz scored maximum marks.
(c) Name the subject in which he has scored minimum marks.
(d) State the name of the subjects and marks obtained in each of them.
- A survey of 120 school students was done to find which activity they prefer to do in their free time.
|Preferred activity||Number of students|
|Reading story books||30|
|Listening to music||10|
Draw a bar graph to illustrate the above data taking scale of 1 unit length = 5 students.
Which activity is preferred by most of the students other than playing?
- The number of Mathematics books sold by a shopkeeper on six consecutive days is shown below:
|Days||Number of books sold|
Draw a bar graph to represent the above information choosing the scale of your choice.
- Following table shows the number of bicycles manufactured in a factory during the years 1998 to 2002. Illustrate this data using a bar graph. Choose a scale of your choice.
|Years||Number of bicycles manufactured|
(a) In which year was the maximum number of bicycles manufactured?
(b) In which year was the minimum number of bicycles manufactured?
- Number of persons in various age groups in a town is given in the following table.
|Age group||1 − 14||15 − 29||30 − 44||45 − 59||60 −74||75 and above|
|Number of persons||2 lakhs||1 lakhs
Draw a bar graph to represent the above information and answer the following Ps. (take 1 unit length = 20 thousands)
(a) Which two age groups have same population?
(b) All persons in the age group of 60 and above are called senior citizens. How many senior citizens are there in the town?